Sunday, August 31, 2014

Getting the most out of FamilySearch–The Search menu (Books)

FS-3_thumb2_thumb
Screenshot taken from the FamilySearch website

I use the Books section of the Search menu all the time.  This is a collection of public domain books, periodicals and manuscripts.  The FHL has partnered with several other libraries so you have access to even more things.  You will be able to read the items online or download them to your hard drive.  What makes this different than something like Google Books is that EVERYTHING listed is in the public domain and everything is genealogy or history related.  I do use Google Books but I have to weed through all of the hits that only have previews and those that have nothing at all to do with what I am searching for.  I think that many genealogists overlook this section thinking that they won’t find anything of use.  All I know is that I have found many treasures here and this page is part of my regular search routine when I am researching someone.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. I tried using this source, but many times when I found a book that looked promising, I got the following message: "You do not have sufficient rights to view requested object - Access denied". Would you know the explanation? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you are logged into FamilySearch. I have never gotten this message myself but there are some things on FamilySearch that are restricted to the Family History Library or the local Family History Center. They are still 100% free but you must access it from one of those places. Having said that, I have never seen this with the Books section. Tell me the name of the book you are trying to access and I will try and pull it up myself. I will be able to tell what the problem is.

      Delete