Monday, September 29, 2014

Southern Studies Showcase-Abbeville Court Records

Dr. Connie McNeill outlined what is and what isn’t available for Abbeville County and the old Ninety-Six District (South Carolina).  Connie introduced us to the book, Abstracts of Old Ninety-Six and Abbeville District Wills and Bonds by Pauline Young.  It was published in 1950 and is out of print.   WorldCat is your friend.  There are three copies within 20 miles of me.  This book is invaluable because it will tell you the box and package number of the documents you are looking for.  The images of the documents are on FamilySearch but they are not indexed.  Knowing the box and package number will save you a whole lot of time.  To see what I mean, take a look HERE.  Do you want to try and find a probate file in there? 

Knowing that Abbeville County holds the old Ninety-Six records is also pretty important considering Ninety-Six doesn’t exist anymore.  It just so happens that I am working on a big South Carolina brick wall and I will need to consult Pauline Young’s book.  I am meeting two other genealogists at the Old Edgefield District Genealogical Society’s Library tomorrow (Tuesday).  If you will be in the area stop by and say hello.  We will be right there at 9:00 am when they open.  I will be using the things I learned in Connie’s presentation to help me with this case.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment