Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A DNA trick

I have always hoped that my husband and I are related in some way.  I just think it would be fun to creep the kids out.  So far I haven’t been able to prove any sort of connection.  We both had our DNA tested and FTDNA says we are not related, at least not down through 5th cousins.  

I wondered if by chance any of the people on my matches list were also on his matches list.  I downloaded my matches to Excel and Jim’s matches to a separate Excel file.  I then used XL Comparator to see if there was anyone that both of us matched.  Jim and I match 22 different people.  The closest match is 2nd-4th cousin to me and 2nd-4th cousin to Jim. 

I now have a renewed hope.  I have emailed the closest match and he is digging around in his file to see what he can find.  We already know where the two of us match but we haven’t found his connection to Jim yet.  This one is very promising so I haven’t even emailed anyone else.

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

7 comments:

  1. If you want to see how you're rellated to someone, and you have your tree built out on FamilySearch Family Tree, the BYU Family History Technology Lab has a website called Relative Finder. They have a lot of predefined groups (presidents, royalty, Mayflower, etc) but you can create custom groups and it will compare your family tree with others in the group and show you how you are related. And yes, my kids were creeped out when they learned that my wife and I are 8th cousins.

    Here is the website: http://roots-fb.cs.byu.edu/home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you mentioned this David. I tried to use Relative Finder but I can't figure out how to search for my husband's line. It always defaults to me because I am the anchor person on Family Tree. I wanted to find a common famous person that we were both related to and work from there.

      Delete
  2. The first thing is you have to create a group. If you want to include living people in the group then they have to log in and join the group (either by searching for the group or using a link). I'm sure its part of Family Search's Living People Privacy Policy that you have to opt in. You also have the option of adding deceased persons manually. When you edit a group you can go to "view/edit members" and then to "Add Deceased (by PID)". I used the Add Deceased feature to see that I'm the 8th Cousin 3x Removed from Walt Disney.

    Once you have a group created, it becomes one of the options on the same page with all of the built in Groups. The groups you've joined will be at the top and the built in groups will be below.

    I created a Group for my church congregation (ward) and found 19 cousins ranging from 8th cousins to 12th cousins with varying degrees of removal. It was a great project that got many people thinking about Family History that aren't currently in to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I can add my husband then because he doesn't have a FS account. He has no interest whatsoever in genealogy. I supposed I could make him an account and then hook him up with a tree of his own :)

      Delete
    2. I did it! I made a FS account for my husband and then hooked him up to his parents which connected him to the tree. I then created a group and put both of us in it. The verdict is.... 13th cousins! Our common ancestors are John Blair (1547-1609) and Grizel Semple (1550-1572). Now I just have to prove it :) I have both lines documented about halfway up each side so I have a ways to go yet. The fun is in the chase :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Michele,
    glad to see that XL Comparator could help in your genealogy researches
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc,
      It is a great little program. Thanks for making it available :)

      Delete