Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Legacy announcement

 

LegacyBoxBig

Legacy’s Research Guidance will now be updated with every update to Legacy starting with the next update which is due out soon.

I am very excited about this especially since I am the one that will be doing the updates.  Access to new sources is exploding and many things that were only available via in-person visits to repositories are now available online. 

I happen to really like the Research Guidance feature. Legacy tailors the list of suggested sources based on what you have already entered and what your research goal is.  As you go through the list you can mark the suggestions as being “Done” after you have consulted them.  You can also add them to your To-Do List by clicking the “Plan to Search” button.  The To-Do task will be filled out for you.  If you know that a source isn’t applicable for this particular person you can mark it as “Ignore.”   Query-type websites will be date stamped when you mark them as done so that you can periodically go back and post a new query if needed. 

Each entry will tell you what the source is and where you can find it.  You are able to see at a glance if the source is online and if it is, you will know if it is a free site, a subscription site or a fee per document site.  Each online source has a clickable link.   If it isn’t online you will see which repositories have it along with full contact info.  There are also notes and tips attached to the specific sources as well as to the repositories if there is anything specific you need to know.  The Research Guidance is an instant research log. 

One thing that I have found to be especially helpful in my research is the Local Histories tab.  I think that I am very well acquainted with the counties in southern Mississippi but the Research Guidance listed several books that I had never heard of.  The link to WorldCat showed me exactly where the books were located.  (You can read about how wonderful WorldCat is HERE).  When you put the Research Guidance feature together with Legacy’s To-Do List and Legacy’s SourceWriter templates you will have all of your genealogical documentation ducks in a row.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

10 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that the "Plan To Search" button will get a LOT of use by me!! Look forward to the next update!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are already well over 22.000 sources in the RG. I will be going through and updating the existing entries and adding more :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds great! Does that mean I will be able to enter my own sources? (i.e. I don't think the wider genealogical community would be interested in sources which cover small villages in Devon, England - but I am!). Does that also mean that Legacy will stop suggesting I visit the Allen County Public Library/Library of Congress/Sutro Library in California, when the ancestor lived all his life in one small town in England, and I also live in UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ros, regarding the Allen County Public Library (etc.) those are repositories and not sources. You have to look at the source that the Allen County Public Library happens to have that is relevant to your guy in England. However, you living in England could be a problem :) This is when you would use the "Ignore" button. There is an option where you can have sources that have been ignored not display on your screen.

      You won't be able to add your own sources but you can alway suggest sources to us by going to http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/suggest.asp Your suggestion will be entered into our tracking system. We would like to know what sources people are interested in :)

      Delete
  3. Michele. I do not use this part of Legacy at all. I have looked at it and entered a couple of "to do" items, but then I ignore it. I really need to begin using this fabulous resource. Maybe it will knock down a couple of brick walls for me. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, the RG is customized for EACH person in your file. When you check off items on the list if is just for that one person. Can you remember who all in your file you have post queries for? I can't and I don't have to because Legacy keeps track of it :) If you mark something as a plan to search, Legacy will fill out the to-do for you. After you do the search all you have to do is enter your results, positive or negative. Now you will always have a record of what you did. I think it is a very underutilized feature.

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of this - I hope it will allow us non-USA residents with non-USA ancestors to add our own repositories as potential research points.
    Otherwise, be prepared for a potential influx of "Please add XYZ Archives in ABC location" that I might just chose to email through *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a bunch of Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Canadian and Australian sources for this next update so email away :) We have users all over the world and I certainly don't want to neglect them.

      Delete
  5. Michele,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/10/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-october-10.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete