Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Southern Studies Showcase-Native Americans in the CSRA

This was the last session I attended. Ed Mann did a great job telling us about the history of indigenous Native Americans in the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA). He brought a lot of cool artifacts for us to look at. I learned a lot but two things stood out.

  • It is illegal to pick up arrowheads at Clark’s Hill/Thurmond Lake. I did not know this.  Ed said that the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will take your car, your boat, your everything if you get caught. We are at Clark’s Hill all the time. I wouldn’t have thought anything about picking up an arrowhead. I personally don’t agree with this but the government and I are rarely in agreement. 
  • Bows and arrows were introduced to the North American Native Americans by the Spanish. Before that they used spears. 

This series of posts is over. I hope I have shown you how much you can get out of attending genealogy conferences. Not only is it a great continuing education opportunity, you also get to meet researchers from all over and you get to catch up with old friends.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. Don't pick up any petrified wood in the Arizona Petrified Forest, either.

    ReplyDelete