Thursday, October 30, 2014

The history of the Swastika

Three of my 2nd great-grandaunts (sisters) were nurses.  In two different photos I have of two of the sisters one of them has a Swastika pinned to the waist of her nursing uniform.  These photos were taken about 1905 in Louisiana so it was pretty obvious there wasn’t a connection to Hitler’s Third Reich.   I did a little research on the history of the Swastika and it is actually quite interesting.

History of the Swastika

Here is one of the photos.  You can’t see it very well in this one but you can see it clearly in the photo I have on my wall.  I don’t want to take the photo out of the frame to get a good scan of it so you will just have to take my word for it. 

ida

You can read more about one of the sisters, Ida (Perry) Faust, HERE.  She has an interesting story.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

 

4 comments:

  1. I've researched "swastika" as well. My maternal side resided in Swastika, Clinton County, New York. It's a hamlet north of Black Brook. Named before the war. I always thought it is yet another good symbol hijacked by a terrible idealogy. I haven't seen them on the nurses uniforms before....nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a town called Swastika! How interesting.

      Delete
  2. My dad had a small lapel pin with the swastika symbol on it. He had it long before Hitler and I was told it had some sort of Christian significance. I don't know what happened to it. Last time I saw it must have been 60+ years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The symbol was 'hijacked' by Nazi Germany. I knew a lot of this, but mostly the archaeological breadth. I was interested by something in a quick look just now....
    "During World War I, the swastika could even be found on the shoulder patches of the American 45th Division and on the Finnish air force until after World War II."
    Didn't know that....

    ReplyDelete