Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Legacy’s User ID field

MH900384665

I don’t feel as though I have done a complete job with an ancestor until I have found their final resting place.  Of course I won’t be able to find a burial location for everyone in my file, especially the farther back in time I go.  Even so, I do try.  Find A Grave is a resource that I use all of the time. 

Diane Gould Hall of Michigan Family Trails made a great suggestion on the Technology for Genealogy  Facebook page.  She uses Legacy’s User ID field to record the Find A Grave Memorial number.  I decided to take it a step further and use this field to record everything I need to know about Find A Grave.  Here are some screenshots of how I use the User ID field.

 

If I record a Find A Grave memorial number in the User ID field that means that not only does this person have a memorial, there is a photo AND I have permission to use the photo.  

fag 1

 

In the next screenshot I have a memorial number but it also says req. photo which means I have sent a request to have John’s marker photographed.  You can see that I don’t have much info on him so a marker photo would be very helpful.  I have his marriage record to his wife so I know his name and who he married (his wife is in my line).  I have an approximate birth date based on when he got married.  Someone has my John Green on Find A Grave but there is no photo so I have requested that one be taken. If you pull up the memorial for John you will see that the person included an obituary.  I can’t use that obituary for a couple of reasons.  It is not sourced and I have no way of knowing if the transcription is correct.  Notice the green box in the screenshot.  See the O next to the To-Do List icon?  That means I have an open task.  That task is tracking down the obituary.  I have sent a request to the Mississippi Department of Archives and History for the obituary to be copied off of microfilm.

fag 2

 

In the next screenshot the word permission has been added.   This means that Cassie has a memorial and there is a photo but I am waiting for permission to use the photograph.  It is a copyright violation to download and use a Find A Grave photo without the consent of the photographer. Notice that I have all of the fields filled in and they are sourced.  That is because I have her death certificate.  I would still like a photograph of her marker.

Fag 3

 

Just to emphasize the importance of getting permission from the photographer here is a screenshot showing how I have downloaded a photo and attached it to my Legacy file.  I give credit to the photographer both on the photo and in the citation.

Fag 4

And here is the citation:

Find A Grave, digital images (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 01 November 2013), Kizzire Jenkins marker, Memorial #36842743, photograph by Belford Carver. 

I use Find A Grave as a source if and only if there is a photograph, never without.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

8 comments:

  1. Michele,
    Great post. You've certainly given me new ideas. I had only been using the User ID field to record the FindAGrave memorial number. I use the notes section next to the cemetery field to record all the other items you've mentioned. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the things I like about. There is more than one way to do things so that everyone can find a way that they like. I think the notes field you mentioned is one of the underutilized features in Legacy. A lot of people don't even realize that there are separate notes fields for the vitals (birth, bap, death, burial). I record my cemeteries as events but a lot of people don't. They put the cemetery name in the burial field OR they record the name of the cemetery in the address field of the burial. I don't recommend putting the name of the cemetery in the burial field because it doesn't conform to the standard way to record locations BUT putting it in the address field of the burial location is a great idea because then it can be mapped. A lot of people miss these extra fields that you find when you click on the + sign next to the location field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/11/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-november-14.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other day I saw a chart (somewhere) where the person was using gravestones instead of individual portraits in the Individual's Media Gallery where no portrait was available.

    Having now read you it gives me the idea to put the User ID, in your case FAG Memorial#, as one of the fields showing in Family View immediately available to you as you're working your way around.

    My User IDs are my MRINs so I can see them in the Name List, something I find very useful. If not for that I might consider doing what you do instead. I like it.

    Maybe Legacy should add one or two more boxes down there to be used however one likes.

    In the meantime I add copyright and contact information into the downloaded FAG images directly but that means having to go back to FAG to look for the permissions should I want them. I'm assume, across the board, that I'm not publishing any of these photos, ever, so it's a non-issue for me. And I'm not requesting photos as you are. But I probably should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can use the AFN field unless you still have old AFN numbers in there. AFNs are no longer being used having been replaced by the FSID. There are also File ID fields that you can use on the Master Sources and Detail Screens if you want to tie your sources to your paper or electronic filing system. There is also a File ID on photos.

    You can also have the User ID display on the Family View. All you have to do is right click the labels (birth, death etc) and you can customize what is displayed. Also, the MRIN is already displayed on the Family View down in the bottom right corner.

    You can always make a suggestion for more user defined fields here http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/suggest.asp If you make your suggestion this way it will get logged into our tracking system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's already a box there (on the Individual screen) for the FSIDs. I'm using Version 7 still so it may be different in Version 8.

    I do have the User IDs (in my case MRINs) showing in Family View.

    I used to use the File IDs for Source Detail but then I stopped linking files.

    In my database I put the Memorial ID# in the source citation and a Tag 8 for anyone who has a gravestone photo.

    I put all the image information in the image metadata; names, Memorial ID#, location, copyright, photographer's name and email address. It's more important to me to have the information attached to a specific file that I may be passing onto someone else. However, I could use your idea of adding more information in the metadata next to where I put the Memorial#. Good one. And someday, I really should request photos that I don't have yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use metadata too. I put the full source citation in there :)

      Delete