Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The latest DNA comparisons

The autosomal DNA big three, FTDNA, 23andMe, and Ancestry.com,  frequently tweak their algorithms for determining ethnic percentages as their DNA pools get larger.  I am listing my ethnic makeup from all three companies below.  One other thing you need to take into consideration is that each company has their own definition for geographic locations which do not match each other perfectly.  Each company has a map you can refer to.  Comparing maps will make the listed differences less different.

FTDNA

European 88%

  • British Isles 54%
  • Western and Central Europe 14%
  • Scandinavia 14%
  • Eastern Europe 0.6%

Middle Eastern 12%

  • Asia Minor 12%

 

23andMe

European 99.9%

  • British and Irish 32.2%
  • French and German 28.1 %
  • Scandinavian 4.5 %
  • Broadly Northern European 25.4%
  • Eastern European 1.4 %
  • Broadly Southern European 0.9%
  • Broadly European 5.4 %

Oceanian 0.1%

Unassigned < 0.1%

 

Ancestry.com

Europe 95%

  • Great Britain 67%
  • Europe West 14%
  • Italy/Greece 3%
  • Scandinavia 3%
  • Ireland 3%
  • Iberian Peninsula 2%
  • Finland/Northwest Russia 2%
  • Europe East 1%

West Asia 5%

  • Caucasus 4%
  • Middle East 1%

 

Even though the three DNA results look different they do agree on one thing.  All of the stories I heard about my Native American heritage has been pretty much disproven which I detailed in Two more myths busted.

Here is an interesting comparison.  My DNA vs. my paternal uncle’s (my dad is deceased so my uncle took the test for me).  This is my DNA compared to his on FTDNA.

Me:

European 88%

  • British Isles 54%
  • Western and Central Europe 14%
  • Scandinavia 14%
  • Eastern Europe 0.6%

Middle Eastern 12%

  • Asia Minor 12%

 

My uncle:

European 100%

  • British Isles 43%
  • Scandinavia 33%
  • Southern Europe 23%
  • Eastern Europe 2%

I can now see what part of my percentages come from my mother’s side.  I still need to get her DNA tested. 

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

 

No comments:

Post a Comment