Thursday, November 13, 2014

When things don’t make sense

In the blog post Sometimes you get disappointed (or not) I introduced you to three brothers that fought together in the same unit (10 and 20 Consolidated Louisiana Militia) during the War of 1812.  I made a passing statement that the men were from Mississippi so what were they doing in a Louisiana militia unit when the Mississippi Territory had its own militia.

When I received William, Silas and James Jr.’s compiled service records as well as Silas and James Jr.’s bounty land entry files from NARA I was a little perplexed.  I had all three men in the Mississippi Territory before the war.  Silas and James’ bounty land applications confirmed that they were definitely the correct men because their bounty land was in Perry and Copiah Counties in Mississippi and it was granted for their service during the War of 1812 in the Louisiana Militia.  So why would three brothers from Mississippi fight in a Louisiana unit especially considering that their home was nowhere near the Louisiana border?

When you have something that doesn’t make sense you need to investigate it further to see if you can find a logical answer.  My answer was in this book: 

Casey, Powell A. Louisiana in the War of 1812.  Baton Rouge, Louisiana: n.p., 1963.

Apparently there were several Mississippi militia units that merged with Louisiana ones during the war. Mississippi officers even took over command of Louisiana units.  Great information!  Now I have an explanation.  I still need to do some additional research because I would love to know which Mississippi militia unit the three men were originally attached to.  Right now all I know is that the three men were in the 10th regiment (Louisiana) under Captain Chance and then came together in the 10 and 20 Consolidated unit under Capt. Neasom.  If you read the previous post I was unsure of Captain Chance’s surname but after a bit of research into the names of the company it turns out it was Chance.  Too bad they didn’t use a typewriter to print out the compiled service record cards.


P. S.  Two of my daughters and I are off to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to spend the weekend Christmas shopping.  I won’t be back on the blog until Monday.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about these "little" discoveries that you make.

    ReplyDelete