Tuesday, December 2, 2014

I am not going to make my goal date

I told you quite a long time ago that my goal was to get all of my paper documents scanned into the computer and attached in Legacy by December 31st.  It isn’t going to happen.  I have made A LOT of progress though and I am happy about that.  My biggest problem is going off on tangents when I am working.  I will see something interesting and then off I go.  Scanning is not fun so it is easy for me to be distracted. 

The wife of one of my German cousins died this week and another cousin sent me her funeral card.  This particular cousin has sent me tons of information over the years.  He is only one of two German relatives I have that do family research.  The death of his wife has prompted me to commit to at least getting the rest of my German documents scanned and reanalyzed by December 31st which is a decent chunk of my stack.  I will then be able to send him an updated file.

I started yesterday and I did manage to get some things entered.  I have to be careful about the tangent thing because the Köln Archives have put a lot of their civil birth, marriage and death certificates online.  I need to stay focused and make to-dos for all of the records searches I want to do instead of stopping what I am doing and doing the search right then.

I have been talking to one of my cousins (probable cousins) in Germany about DNA (yes, another tangent).  I am working on the Glaentzer/Gläntzer line.  This is a very rare surname.  We have two lines of Glaentzer and one line of Gläntzer and all three are most assuredly connected.  I do have males in all three lines I could test.  The problem is logistics.  I need to convince these three men to take a test which in itself might be a problem.  DNA testing isn’t well known in Germany and I not sure how they will feel about this.  I am having my mother take the test first so that she can explain to them that it is okay. Shipping won’t be too much of an issue.  Since I need yDNA I will be using FTDNA and they do ship internationally.  This won’t be until after the first of the year so I need to get back to scanning.

 

Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment