Monday, January 19, 2015

Legacy and AniMap

I love AniMap and I use it all the time.  I want to show you how I use it and I will also be showing you one of the built-in error checkers that Legacy has.

I was entering a information from a death certificate into Legacy. The deceased was born in Salley, South Carolina in 1845. When I tried to enter

Salley, Aiken, South Carolina, United States

into Legacy I got an error message.

 

clip_image001

 

I clicked the Online County Info button which brought me to the Aiken County, South Carolina FamilySearch Wiki Page. Many people don’t notice this very useful button (and there are two more very useful buttons, the Show County List and Online County Maps).  There I found,

“10 March 1871: Aiken was created from Barnwell, Edgefield, Lexington and Orangeburg Counties.” 

Now I have a problem. Which of these four counties was Salley in in 1845?  This is where AniMap comes in. AniMap allows me to pinpoint a specific location and then I can see how the state and county boundaries changed around that location over time. I chose 1832 because that is the date of the last boundary changes prior to 1845.

 

clip_image002

 

Salley was in Orangeburg County in 1845. Now I can enter the correct information into Legacy. You always want to record your location as it was at the time of the event.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Michele,

    I want to let you know that three of your blog posts are listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/01/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-january-23.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete