Monday, January 26, 2015

Updates

I spent the weekend cleaning up my “office” because I have a huge new project starting today.  I say “office” because my office is a corner of a room.  One of my daughters is moving out in May and the second I see the taillights going down the road I will be in her room with a paint can redoing my new office.  One of the things I did while cleaning up is I went through my books and reorganized them.  I have updated my Book List which was long overdue.


I would like to thank all of the people that have been sending me nice emails about the series of posts I have been doing on Legacy.  I am going to take a break from that for a couple of days because I have some other posts I need to get out there but I still have a few more Legacy ones I want to do so stay turned.


For those of you participating in Thomas MacEntee’s Genealogy Do-Over, how are things going?  I am participating though I have my own list of goals.  One of this week’s topics is Managing Projects and Tasks.  I think Thomas wrote this one especially for me.  I would love to hear how the Do-Over is going for you.  You can post your success stories in the comments.


Here is something interesting from the world of DNA.  A Genetic Genealogy Standards committee has been established and they have drafted a Genetic Genealogy Standards document.  This is well worth your reading.  They will also be drafting standards for DNA source citations and I am really looking forward to that.  You can watch for this on their web site, Genetic Genealogy Standards.


If you are are just beginning your family history journey I have something for you!  Dear Myrtle has a 20 week genealogy class that recently started.  Sorry I didn’t get this posted sooner but it isn’t too late.  Here is a description form her Facebook page.

“Participants will review beginning research strategies including identifying what is known, deciding what to learn, selecting records to search, obtaining and searching the records, evaluating and using the information. Considerable effort will be made to provide screen shares of each record type. Although the focus is general United States research, these research principles and use of the FamilySearch Wiki can be applied to over ancestral studies in over 120 additional countries throughout the world, with additional regional (state, county, town, parish) wiki entries.”

What an opportunity!  Here is more info and a link to the previous lessons so that you can catch up.  Beginning Genealogy Study Group.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment