Friday, February 20, 2015

First trip to the courthouse

index

I made my first trip to the courthouse for my new project. When I walked into the Columbia County Probate Court records vault I knew it was going to be a good trip.  On the counter was the very book I needed to start with.

I found 28 deeds of interest.  This only includes two of my three main people and none of the collateral relations.  This was a prominent family that had a lot of land and a lot of money so finding them in records is no problem.  The family arrived in what would become Columbia County in 1771.  Columbia County wasn’t formed until 1790 so I will have to go to the Richmond County courthouse to find the rest of the deeds I need.  My patriarch died in 1784 so all of his deeds will be in Richmond County.

I will be spending a lot of time in the Columbia and Richmond County Probate Courts because deeds are just one of the record sets that they hold.  I will also be looking at probate, actual land plats, marriage records, tax records and inferior and superior court records.  Some of the court records are actually indexed (quite unusual) so I am not as intimidated by them as I normally would be.

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment