Thursday, February 26, 2015

Good news bad news

The bad news is, Kiokee Baptist Church’s earliest records from 1790-1832 no longer exist.  The good news is, they were microfilmed before they were destroyed.  The bad news is, there are only two copies of the microfilm in existence.  The good news is, one of the copies is at Mercer University in Macon.  The bad news is, these records have not been transcribed, abstracted or indexed and they need to be.  The good news is, Mercer will release the film via interlibrary loan and the Columbia County, Library has a microfilm reader with a flash drive so I can download the images.  The bad news is, it will probably take me quite some time to abstract everything. The good news is I will have the images at home so I can do them a little at a time.


Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

3 comments:

  1. That is one huge load. Can you organise a group of volunteers to help you? I'm sure there would be many who would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a free version of the TRANSCRIBE software which allows you to put the image at the top of
    the screen while you transcribe below. I think I'll give it a try, but am interested in your feedback.

    http://www.jacobboerema.nl/en/Freeware.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Transcript program! I use the paid version because I felt the developer deserved my support :) I did a blog post on it awhile back. http://ancestoring.blogspot.com/2014/07/transcript-program.html

      Delete