Thursday, February 19, 2015

Local stuff

Map of Columbia County, Georgia 1796, courtesy of the Digital Library of Georgia

I am very excited about a new project I am working on because almost everything is local. I usually write up family histories that take place somewhere other than where I live but this time I am working on a prominent local family, three generations, 1706-1832. I have two courthouses at my disposal that both have minimal records loss, I have a local newspaper that has been in print since 1785 and digital images are available, and the church they were members of  has intact records from 1790 onward  (on microfilm). Oh happy day! 

The story actually starts in Connecticut which is unfamiliar territory for me but once I get out of Connecticut and into Columbia County, Georgia I will be home free. I had to order microfilms for Connecticut church records and town vitals records.  You might see a blog post on this because I have never done research in Connecticut before so it will be interesting. 

 

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

5 comments:

  1. .. This should be a fascinating story, and it sounds like you'll have lots of great sources to help you tell it. In the colonial and early national periods it was pretty uncommon to see 'Yankee' families move to the South. So this is something that is potentially of interest to scholars of the period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! If you have any Connecticut questions, feel free to message or email me. I grew up in Connecticut and have done a lot of family history research there.

    I echo what Mark said. I've seen a lot of families move to the South. Yankees were traders and sailed up and down the seacoast regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This family did very well for itself in Georgia. Three generations of Baptist preachers BUT they also owned a ton of land and they were quite wealthy :)

      Delete
  3. HI Michele, I love following your blog! I also grew up in Ct. and still live here. I am very curious where the research you will be doing and more so if I will learn something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal is to find birth (or baptismal) dates as well as marriage dates for the first generation family. I am also looking for one death date (everyone else made it out of CT to GA) I have ordered the microfilm for the church where they were known to have attended as well as the town records of two towns where they lived. The biggest problem is 4 out of the 5 microfilms I have ordered thus far are backordered. I am a little frustrated with this but what can you do.

      Delete