Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My other new toy–Scrivener

Scrivener; for Microsoft WindowsScrivener 2 for Mac OS X

 

My other new toy is Scrivener. I bought it (again on super sale) after hearing several writers I admire praising the program. I wasn’t having much luck learning my way around Scrivener's features on my own but then I attended Lisa Alzo’s Scrivener Mini Boot Camp. If you missed it you can buy the video download for $4.95 HERE. Lisa is a great speaker and I learned a lot.  I am now ready to put Scrivener to use.

In a nutshell, it is an organizational system and writing platform for writing projects. I wouldn’t use Scrivener for something short like blog posts but rather for more involved projects such as journal articles, client reports, proof arguments and even full length family history books. What I like about it is that you can write in sections and easily rearrange those sections. You can also write yourself notes and you can pull in all of your research materials so that they are easily accessible. There is a “corkboard” view where you can see at a glance all the different parts of your project.  You can write a short synopsis on the “index cards” shown in the corkboard view to give you a little overview of each section. I already have a couple of projects in mind for Scrivener. It is a very cool tool!

The participants of the Mini Boot Camp all asked Lisa to do a follow up webinar for intermediate users.  She and Thomas MacEntee (the webinar sponsor) were receptive to the idea so hopefully Part II will out soon.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment