Monday, February 23, 2015

Roadblock

I am very frustrated right now.  I ordered five microfilms from the Family History Library (FHL) and all five are on backorder.  How is that even possible?  I have been ordering microfilm for the last 20 years and this is the first time that a film has been backordered. 

There is a lady that pulls documents for me at the FHL but I wanted to look at these films myself because I am looking not only for specific documents but for some clues to lead me to other documents. It is easier for me to do this than her since I know the background info. I might have to go ahead and ask her to pull the documents for me so that I can at least get a start on this.

Grumble, grumble…

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

 

4 comments:

  1. Could the shortage of microfilm be the cause of the delay? Maybe there aren't enough copies already of the films you want and they need to make new ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a rumor that they are reorganizing the vault so some of the microfilm is tied up being moved/recatalogued. On a good day it takes 6 weeks for the microfilm to get to me locally. it is shipped to a person's house who then brings it in to the local Family History Center. The project I am working in has some time constraints so this is making me a bit anxious. I went ahead and asked the lady who pulls for me to get the most critical bits of info off of the films for me so that I can at least start getting things written up.

      Delete
  2. Michele after hearing about your problems with the password at the Georgia Regents University microfilm room and now this delay with the backorders, it sounds like some of your ancestors are playing with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to take photos of the pages in the article since they were typeset but the other microfilm I found (that I thought only Mercer Univ. and Shorter Univ. had) was a different story. These are handwritten church documents from 1790-1832. Photographing this is not going to work. I need to digital images from the microfilm itself so that I can manipulate the images a bit. I can't get the same quality by photographing the microfilm reader screen. I am debating on whether I want to go back to the Reese Library or just get the films via interlibrary loan and look at them on the Columbia County Library's microfilm reader.

      Delete