Thursday, March 5, 2015

A interesting find in an unexpected place

A friend of mine asked me about the availability of records for Central State Hospital in Milledgeville, Georgia.  I have only done asylum research in Mississippi, South Carolina and Arizona so I wasn’t familiar with the laws governing the records (privacy) in Georgia nor if there are any records still in existence for Central State from that time period.  I told her that even if there are strict privacy laws normally the admission and discharge records are public record and if they exist the Georgia Archives should have them.  One of my favorite Georgia genealogists, Paul K. Graham, saw the question and piped up.  It just so happens that the admission registers do exist.  They are available at the Georgia State Archives from 1842 through 1924. Paul extracted the first 20 years and published them.  Paul is the author of several great Georgia genealogy books so I knew I would have to add this one to my collection.

Admission Register of Central State Hospital, Milledgeville, Georgia, 1842-1861

As far as I knew, I had no one in my file that had been admitted to this hospital but I had to have the book anyway.  I got it in the mail and guess what I found, a name I recognized.  This book is great.  Paul included the entire paragraph of why the person was admitted.  Such interesting information.  He not only included a name index but a location index.  It was easy to look up everyone that was admitted from Columbia County.  I was surprised to see the number of people that were admitted from out of state.  Some of your missing relatives might have ended up in Georgia. I am hoping Paul does a sequel for 1862-1924.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

 

No comments:

Post a Comment