Friday, April 24, 2015

Negative search

Here is a great reason why you want to document your negative searches.   Images of the record set Mississippi, Enumeration of Educable Children, 1850-1892; 1908-1957 are on FamilySearch but the records are not indexed.  I just visually scanned every name on 370 images one by one for Marion County 1892. Believe it or not, that is actually a small image set.   I don’t want to do that again.  I ALWAYS document any negative search so that I don’t accidentally redo what I have already done.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

5 comments:

  1. Been there ... Done that ... Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be more diligent about my negative searches. I'm much better than I used to be. And certainly when I look at a big record set such as the one you mentioned, I do make a note. Thanks Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many collections are being published in increments or unindexed - keep track of the dates of negative searches, so that if updates or indexes are added, you can try again. And updates can be new material or corrections. Just because you didn't see it the first time, doesn't mean it won't be found eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting for all those images to load does get old! Time is too short to repeat these searches.
    Note: There are later years for some counties on the MDAH site for the Educable Children records, http://mdah.state.ms.us/arrec/digital_archives/
    When looking through those records for my home county, I got lucky because my school's name starts with "A." I've had a great time finding myself and my friends and their siblings.
    What's with the pictures! Fortunately after several attempts, I got some numbers to type!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of them are alphabetical but they are also divided up in sets by range/township and black and white children so each county has several range/townships and then each of those is subdivided by black and white children and then each of those lists are alphabetized so you still have to go through page by page. I can't wait until FamilySearch gets all of the MDAH records indexed.

    ReplyDelete