Friday, June 5, 2015

My new digs

My daughter Kelly got married in May and moved out. I immediately took possession of her vacated room to turn it into my new office. I have never had a real office. I have always either been in a corner of my bedroom or in the family room. That’s what happens when you have a houseful of kids. 

You can see my old office space HERE. This was actually two spaces ago. This is when I was in the bedroom but I moved to the family room sometime after that. If you are on Facebook, you can see my space in the family room HERE. Even if you don’t have Facebook you can try the link. Who knows, you still might be able to see it.  

My new office has a fresh coat of paint, crown molding installed and a new ceiling fan. I moved my two big bookcases in and I bought a new, larger desk. I also brought in a little antique table I found at an estate sale about a year ago to hold my printer. The shredder sits underneath. I have a TV in here which is nice. I moved in three plants (love living in a jungle). The best part of moving is it forced me to go through everything I have and I got rid of a lot of junk. The not so best part is when I went through everything I ended up making a lengthy to-do list of things I need to tackle. 

I started working in here on Monday. I have a door that I can close which means I can use Dragon Naturally Speaking without my kids laughing hysterically. I can have the news on the TV going in the background too (I am a news junkie). 

So why no pictures of my new digs? The one thing I want to do before I let you see it is get some stuff on the walls. I can’t stand having bare walls. I also need to sew some curtains but I might let you see it before then. I am just having a hard time figuring out what I want to put on the walls and where. I have a large map of Germany, a couple of old pictures, and some of my daughter’s oil paintings that will make the cut. I want to get a wall clock.  Even though I have the time on my wristwatch, my telephone and my computer I still prefer just glancing up at the wall. I am also considering a bulletin board and maybe a white board. In the above two photos you can see that I was using the blinds as a bulletin board.  My desk isn’t under a window now so that is why I am thinking about a bulletin board in front of my desk.

I will be doing a lot of work in here this weekend.  I might try to get you a picture sometime next week.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michele Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you Michele. Nothing like a fresh work space. I hope you treat yourself to a nice big desk and an ergonomically comfortable chair. I did and it makes a great difference. Can't wait to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    I was able to log on to Blogger with Windows Live Writer just a few minuates ago. Thought I would let you know.

    Charlie
    CPurvis1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to post using Live Writer on Wed. Thank you, Microsoft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you 100% Michele! I am an author and using Dragon gets more laughs in my house because I have to do it in the kitchen. When our oldest moved out I claimed the space for my office and never looked back. Today the room is my sanctuary and allows me to write without interruption all day long!

    Derrick George @ ZZONE 31

    ReplyDelete