Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Legacy: Searches and more searches

Did you know that there are SIX different search tabs?  Legacy has several built-in searches to make your life easier.

Tab 1 – Query by example
This is a simple fill-in-the blank search form.

I am looking for all male Glaentzers whose first name starts with B, who were born before 1880 in Köln (I don’t have type the rest of the location)

blog 1

 

Tab 2 – Detailed Search
This is the search tab that most people go to when searching.  One thing that a lot of people don’t realize is that you can have as many search criteria you want, not just the three that are on the screen.  The trick is to do your first search using the three search criteria and then Create List.  Then change the search criteria to your next three but this time select ONLY SEARCH THE SEARCH LIST.  You can do this as many times as you need to.  This multi-tiered search is very powerful.  I am looking for every Glaentzer that was was born in Germany and is also on Tag 9.

blog 2

 

Tab 3 – Miscellaneous
This is a fun one.  There are all kinds of great searches here.  Here I am doing a simple search for everyone in my file that has an unknown spouse.

blog 3

 

Tab 4 – Missing Sources
This is a scary tab.  Everyone know how important it is to have a source for every fact in your file.  This tab will help you do that.  I am searching for anyone that does not have a source for the relationship to father and/or the relationship to mother (these are two very overlooked source fields).  Notice the two options at the top, Everything and Anything, as well as the two at the bottom ALL or ONE.

blog 4

 

Tab 5 – Missing Information
This tab isn’t as scary as tab 4.   Here I am searching for missing birth, marriage and death dates.  Why?  So I can go back and estimate these dates based on the information I do have.  It is always good to estimate the dates so that you can do better searches on repository websites.  It also helps you rulle people in and out when you are trying to figure out who could be the parents of whom and whether you are dealing with one person or two people with the same name (it is all about timelines). Again, notice the two options at the bottom ALL or ONE.

Blog 5

 

Tab 6 – Census List
This is a great way to systematically go through your file and fill in census information.  The state of Mississippi conducted a statewide census in 1866.  I am looking for everyone in my file that was alive in 1866 and should have been living in the state of Mississippi so that I can check to see if they appear in this census.  I also want to exclude anyone that I have already recorded a 1866 census for (Legacy looks at events and sources to figure this out).  There are checkboxes to narrow the search further but I am going to leave it like this.

Blog 6

 

Notice that ALL of the tabs allow you to append your search list and all but the Misc. Search will also allow you to search just the current search list which means you can switch back and forth between the tabs and mix and match your searches.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michèle Simmons Lewis

4 comments:

  1. Michele, Thank you for this very helpful post - I've gone and tried them all just now. I rarely have used the other tabs! Normally I don't save my searches as I'm only looking for a small number of people/events. But if I want to save these Census List searches (for example), I can only save them as *.sc0 saved to Legacy's filing App Data - user. - How do I save them as a .doc or .docx or .pdf search... so I can work on the list, search it, etc. I feel really stupid with this question, but I'm finally trying to learn how to use Searches more effectively, and I need to save them in a form that gives me time to stew over them! :) Thanks so much for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to save the search criteria you used just click the SAVE button at the bottom of the search search. If you give each set of search a unique name you can then use the LOAD button to recall them.

      If you want to save the search results themselves, you can do that by clicking the PRINT button at the bottom of the Search List. After you have set up the report to include what you want you can send it to a .pdf or a .csv file.

      Delete
  2. Michele,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/07/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-july-10-2015.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete