Monday, July 13, 2015

Thank you, ESM

IMG_20150714_095018902

The 3rd edition of Elizabeth Shown Mills’ Evidence Explained has joined my battered 1st edition in my bookcase. You can see that I also have Elizabeth’s first citation book, Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian. I bought Evidence! in 1997 and it completely changed everything. By 1997 I had been researching my family for six years and I had been doing everything wrong. I read the first two chapters, “Fundamentals of Citation” and “Fundamentals of Analysis,” over and over again. I realized that I just didn’t know enough to do quality research. I immediately enrolled in Brigham Young University’s Independent Study Program and I took every genealogy course they had from 1997 through 2001. I quickly learned just how important continuing education is and to this day I take advantage of as many reference books, conferences, classes and webinars that I can.  That is why I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the 3rd Edition of EE. The first two chapters are “Fundamentals of Evidence Analysis” and Fundamentals of Citation.”  If new researchers would read these two chapters they too would have the eye opening experience that I did.

Thanks, Elizabeth, for everything.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michèle Simmons Lewis

 

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to have found your blog! I am currently finishing my degree through BYU Independent Study and enrolled in three genealogy classes (British sources, paleography, & a new one called Historian's Craft). I would not be taking all three at once if I wasn't on a tight deadline to graduate.

    ReplyDelete