Wednesday, August 26, 2015

What’s up

1) I finally have my Glaentzer One-Name Study posted online. I still have about 100 more births to enter and then I will have all of the German BMD index information entered.  I am sure I have a few duplicates so as soon as I am done with the births I will be looking for any dups.  The website still needs a lot of work but at least I have it up and running.  I still have a long list of record sets to enter but I wanted to get the German BMDs entered first since they are the most important.  I want to thank my friend Christina who is also a Glaentzer/Gläntzer researcher and her help has been invaluable.

2) Legacy has a new Facebook page that has kept me VERY busy.  If you are a Legacy user I encourage you to join.  We already have over 3600 members.  The list is monitored by some of the Legacy staff but it is set up to be a place where users can interact with other users with occasional input from us.  I have been posting quite a bit just to get the group off to a good start.  The nice thing about a Facebook group page is that you can post screenshots. You can see it here: Legacy User Group Facebook Page.

3) I have scaled down my outside genealogical endeavors quite a bit because I have a grandbaby on the way but I still have a pretty full calendar.  I am still lecturing and have quite a few lined up through next July.

4) I will be mentoring a new GenProof Study group starting on 14 Sep 2015.  I am looking forward to it because I had such a great time with the last group.  If you are interested, you can read about it HERE.  There is a link to sign up on that page.  My groups are 8 weeks long and are pretty fast paced.  If you are just beginning to use the Genealogical Proof Standard you might opt for one of the 16 week groups.

5) I am also working on my nemesis brick wall, James Simmons of South Carolina.  I had put James aside for a long time because I was so frustrated with him. If you follow me on Facebook you will know that I recently posted that South Carolina is my least favorite state to do research in and James Simmons would be why.  I am planning a trip to the South Carolina State Archives, the South Caroliniana Library at the University of South Carolina, and the South Carolina Historical Society.  I am in the process of going back over everything I have and getting it organized.  I am updating my Research Log so that I have a clear plan of action before I make the trip to Columbia. I want to thank Janis Walker Gilmore for her NGS Research Guide in the the States Series: South Carolina because there was some very useful information in there that I think will help me on my trip.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michèle Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are back! Congratulations on your one name study. Sounds like there is still a tremendous amount of work to do. Don't be away too long.

    ReplyDelete