Monday, September 7, 2015

Legacy: The other clipboards

I wrote two blog posts about the Source Clipboard
Legacy: The Source Clipboard
Legacy: More about the Source Clipboard

But what about the other clipboards in Legacy?  The clipboards are there to save you time and to help you make your entries uniform.

Event Clipboard - After you have entered an event for someone you can copy and paste that event to other people.  This is different than “sharing” an event which will probably be the topic of a future blog post.  I prefer use the copy and paste method for census records instead of sharing the event (personal preference). Everything is copied including the source citation and the linked document.

Here is Ebenezer Grantham’s event for the 1850 United States Federal Census.  I am going to copy it to all of the family members that also appear on this census.  After I have entered the information, I click the Copy button.

ss1

 

I then go to his daughter Leucretia and click ADD to add an event.  The event comes up blank.  All I have to do is click the Paste button.

ss2

 

Now I have this.

ss3

Notice that the source was copied over (the source icon is colored in) and the image file of the actual census page was also copied over (you can see the thumbnail in the bottom right corner).  This will save you oodles of time and you will be sure that everything is consistent and uniform.

 

To-Do Clipboard – If you need to check a specific source for more than one person this clipboard is for you.  I ordered a Family History Library microfilm and I need to check this film for several people.  I create the To-Do task for the first person, Hannah Drake, and then click the Copy button.

ss4

 

I open Martha Stearns’ To-Do List and open a new task.  It opens blank (the Open Date defaults in).  Now I click the Paste button.

ss5

 

I get an exact copy tied to Martha Stearns.  If I needed to customize it for this person I could add what I needed.

ss6

 

The To-Do List also has the ability to save up to ten of your favorite To-Do’s so that you can recall them at any time.

Let’s say I create a To-Do task for Find A Grave. I know this will be one that I use often so I want to save it.  After I have entered the information I click the Save button.

ss7

 

You then get this.

ss8

 

Now it is there when I need it.  I open a new To-Do Task and click the Load button.

ss9

 

This is what pops up.

ss10

 

And then you get this.

ss11

 

So let’s go a little further and finish the task out.  If this were a real person you might see this on the Results tab.

ss12

Take advantage of the built-in features that save you time, time you could be using to do research instead of repetitive data entry.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michèle Simmons Lewis

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Michele. That added the needed clarity to a debate I've been having with myself; to share or not to share. Because Family Search does not recognize individuals or events created in Legacy using the Share feature, there is much to be said for entering those individually. BUT, the Share feature is so easy and convenient. Dang! I'm not intending to sync my entire Legacy tree with FamilySearch; only my direct line and maybe their children. Those individuals will have their information entered into Legacy using the Copy feature. For everyone else I will utilize the Share. BTW, that's the same philosophy I follow re paper: Direct line; paper copies of Everything as a backup. Collateral lines; digital documents only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele. I like your idea of the FindAGrave item on the To Do list. I currently keep those types of records in the "notes" field for burial. I also have a checklist in Evernote. However, you have kind of combined them all in one place. Although I use Legacy nearly 7 days a week, I have only used the To Do option a couple of times in eight years. The other clipboards you mentioned, I use all the time, in the same way you do.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele, what is the advantage in copying vs sharing other than what the 1st commenter stated? Are reports different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these will print out differently in reports so I high suggest you do a test person and try it both ways. Also, there are a lot of different options in the reports for how all events will read out so you need to play around with those options too. In a nutshell, copying is just that, an exact copy for every person. When you share the event there is more emphasis on the ROLE of each person in the event so it is actually more flexible. You can customize it for each person. The biggest disadvantage to using shared events is that the only program that can read them in a gedcom file is RootsMagic. If you create a gedcom with any other program you will lose your shared events and that includes uploading to websites. Why? Because Legacy and RootsMagic are the only two programs that have shared events. Since the other programs and websites don't have this they can't "see" them in gedcom files.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Michele. You always explain things in depth without be techie.

      Delete