Wednesday, September 9, 2015

More on land mapping at the Bureau of Land Management

Brad P. emailed me in response to I have a new toy!  to make sure that I knew about another great feature that the BLM offers.  I did know about this and I use it all the time but I didn’t mention it and I think that another blog post is in order.

The BLM will plot the piece of land onto a present day map. Go to the BLM Search Page and do your search like normal.  Now click on the Accession number for the parcel you are interested in.   Down at the bottom you will see a map.  Put a checkmark in the Map box at the top and then the map will zero in on the parcel.  You can zoom in and out as needed.  Now take a screenshot of this and you can attach the image in Legacy (or whatever genealogy database program you use) as a reference.  The big square is 5N11W, the next square is section 33 and the smallest square is the NW1/4.  You can’t do multiple parcels at one time on the same map (unless you are some sort of expert with one of the advanced photo editing programs which I am not) but this is a very useful tool.

SS1

 

Copyright © 2015 Michèle Simmons Lewis

8 comments:

  1. Michele,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/09/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-september.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this before. Isn't it great? Maps are full of information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried this and there is no Map option. The date for the parcel was 1879. Is there some sort of date limitation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The BLM has not added maps to every entry yet though most of them do have maps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked a half a dozen of my ancestors' land records in different states and no place to check map. I did see the survey under the Related Documents but again none had a plat map. Is that why I don't see a map feature on the Accession's page?

      Delete
    2. I am not sure. I have been very lucky with the state of Mississippi.

      Delete