Monday, November 30, 2015

How long does it take to do it right?

The answer is 22 minutes. I wanted to see how long it would me to find a census record, download and save the image, extract/analyze the data, and enter it into Legacy.  I chose the 1830 census because I knew that it would be harder to work with.

  • I found Jacob Perry’s household in Perry County, Mississippi on FamilySearch.
  • I brought up the image. This happens to be a two page census so I had to download, crop, cleanup and then save two images.  I used Picasa.
  • I created a Master Source for this census.
  • I entered a 1830 US Federal Census event for Jacob and entered the extracted data that I found into the event notes.
  • I attached both images to this event adding captions and dates.
  • I attached the master source to the event and then added the needed citation detail using the Source Clipboard making it easy for me to use this citation as many times as I need to.
  • I then copied and pasted the event to each of the people on the census using the Event Clipboard (I figured out who they were based on the ages).

ss

22 minutes. Not bad.

 

Copyright © 2015 Michèle Simmons Lewis

13 comments:

  1. Michele, Is there any way to create columns in the notes or events? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legacy is primarily a database program and not a word processing program (think MS Access vs. MS Word). Therefore its word processing capabilities are limited. If you set up the columns in Notepad using the tab key and then copy and paste into Legacy, your columns will be retained.

      Delete
  2. Did you add this event to each person or only the head of household? (I finally learned how to use the clipboard!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I paste the event to everyone named in the household. I like to have all of the censuses each person was in from birth to death so that they have a nice tidy timeline. They will start out with their parents and then move on to their married life and then sometimes move in with a child in their older years. I like to see all of that.

      Delete
  3. Michele,
    Glad you shared this. I keep saying over and over to those who ask that it doesn't take long to "do it right."
    I had been thinking of doing something similar just to see how long it actually takes.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tip on doing it right! Of course, it is much faster to just save it to Ancestry. :) But, we are losing so much when we do it this way. I'm glad you took the time to time yourself! That's interesting to note how long it took.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you also attach the image or document to the detail source?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only attach the image to the event. I never attach images to Master Sources or to Citation Detail screens but that is just me. There are others that never attach images to events but only to the Source/Detail.

      Delete
  6. Michelle, Could you please tell us the pros and cons of attaching the document images to the event vs. the source detail?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is 100% personal preference. The reason I don't put the images in the citation is that when I print a report I want my citations intact so I wouldn't print images there anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any reason that you used copy and paste to add to each individual, rather than use the Shared Event feature in Legacy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, personal preference. I prefer to have the full event on each person named so that I have birth to death censuses no matter in whose household they appear. Another consideration, if you create a gedcom of your file the shared event information is in there but the only program other than Legacy that can "see" it is RootsMagic. If you import into any other program or website you will lose your shared events because they don't have this capability.

      Delete
  9. Totally blew me away with this post ! I had to try this out myself as I have three ( make that four as I still have my old PAF software too) and I am not sure if I can name the softwares here, but yes, Legacy was the fastest for me. I am not even well-versed at it either. Good tip on using Notepad for the census columns.

    ReplyDelete