Saturday, December 19, 2015

Father and two sons

Battle of Shiloh, courtesy of the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C.

I was working on my Patton line this morning.  I already had my 3rd great-grandfather Mathew Robert Pattons’ Civil War compiled service record.  He was wounded at the Battle of Shiloh (Tennessee) on 06 April 1862 and he died in Gainesville, Alabama on 10 May 1862.  I am trying to get a photo of his CSA marker at the Old Cemetery in Gainesville, Sumter County.  I have had the request on Find A Grave since 2012 and no takers so if anyone happens to live near Gainesville let me know.

Anyway, Mathew had four sons.  His youngest son is my 2nd great-grandfather.  I was thinking that even his oldest son was too young to have served but my definition of too young and the CSA’s definition of too young are two different things.  You guessed it.  The two oldest, 17 year old Flemon and 15 year old James,  were both in the CSA. 

Flemon survived the war and died between 24 August 1867 and 01 July 1870 so he still died quite young.

James also survived and I have him through the 1880 census (still working on him).

I have an 18 year old son and I can’t even image this.  It about killed me when we got his Selective Service notice in the mail.   I think about Mathew’s wife Charlotte watching her husband and two teenage sons walk away to go to war.  It makes me want to know more about Charlotte.


Compiled service record, M. R. Patton, Private, Company D, 22nd Regiment, Alabama Infantry, CSA; Civil War Service Records; digital images, Fold3 (http://www.fold3.com : accessed 22 May 2014).

Compiled service record, Flemon Patton, Private, Company I, 10th Regiment, Alabama Infantry, CSA; Civil War Service Records; digital images, Fold3 (http://www.fold3.com : accessed 19 December 2015). 

Compiled service record, James R. Patton, Private, Company D, 22nd Regiment, Alabama Infantry, CSA; Civil War Service Records; digital images, Fold3 (http://www.fold3.com : accessed 19 December 2015).

 

Copyright © 2015 Michèle Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment