Monday, March 21, 2016

A big shout out to the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Facebook Page

My DAR application for Reuben Radford was kicked back.  The Registrar in Washington wanted me to provide additional documentation to prove that a certain person in the lineage was truly one person and not two (sometimes she went by Susan and sometimes she went by Elizabeth).  I needed to find two census records that I had previously been unable to find so that I could track this one woman through all of the censuses during her lifetime proving that the families matched perfectly no matter if she was using Susan or Elizabeth.  I had all the censuses except for the 1880 and the 1900 and I searched every which way I could and I just wasn’t seeing it. Indexes can be frustrating sometimes. I needed some fresh eyes to do the search.

I posted a request on the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Facebook page and in less than one hour I had BOTH censuses in my hand.  A huge thank you to Lisa Dotti who found the 1880 census and to Jennifer Pearson Edinger for finding the 1900. I am now able to prove they are one and the same person with a bonus of her being listed as Susan E. in the 1880 census (She was listed as Elizabeth S. on one of her marriage records). 

Life is good!

 

Copyright © 2016 Michèle Simmons Lewis

5 comments:

  1. Terrific! Interested in how they found those 2 census records. What did they do differently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is what the two said on the RAOGK FB page...

      Lisa (who found the 1880) said, "I started with both Edward Carlisle and Susan Elizabeth Carlisle in the parents slot and put the last name Perry in the other person place and started there. I immediately found the marriage. When I didn't get what I wanted there I took Edward out of the equation and searched just using the mother and the primary person as Perry last name. and then it came up after some searching. I came up with the one I was looking for with Carlisle, misspelled of course, and the first name for Edward slaughtered. SO I double checked the marriage and saw he was listed as Edward H and the guy on my census also had an H I opened up the actual doc and took a look and it looked like Eward not the Sevard as it was transcribed as. I find lots of transcription errors like that so always check the actual doc to see what it says whenever you can. No combination was bringing up the 1900 for me but I hadn't gotten to trying the married name for the son before Jennifer did."

      Jennifer (who found the 1900) said, "I searched for Susan Elizabeth, born 1836, husband Edward H., living in Mississippi. No last names. I didn't even add the child's name. The 1900 census for Elizabeth Carlise was the first record that popped up!"

      Delete
  2. Michele,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2016/03/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-march-25.html

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun reading HOW they found the records. Always good to learn new work-arounds.

    ReplyDelete