Saturday, March 19, 2016

Cool experiment from Randy Seaver

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings did a fun experiment in his blog post, How Many Records Are There For My Seaver Surname?

I, like Randy, love numbers and I just couldn’t pass this one up.  I did the same experiment using my One-Name Study name, Glaentzer.  Glaentzer is a pretty rare surname though it does suffer from a lot of variations.  I ran it through the big online repositories as is, no variations, just to see what kind of numbers I would get.  I set the search engines for exact matches only.

Ancestry.com – Historical Records only (no stories, trees, or photos) – 660 hits.

FamilySearch – Historical Records – 345 hits.

FindMyPast – All Records – 87 hits.

MyHeritage – All Collections (I had to hand subtract the tree hits, there is no way to filter them out of the search)  – 365 hits.

What fun!

 

Copyright © 2016 Michèle Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. With that many hits for a rare surname, don't even try it with Smith or Jones!

    ReplyDelete