I wanted to know who all in my direct line still needed federal census records. In Legacy I created a search list of my dad’s direct line to include all spouses but not siblings. I had AKAs and married names turned off so that the list wasn’t artificially inflated. I only did my dad’s side because my mother’s side has no one in the United States. I then exported this list as a CSV file. I only included the RIN and name. Originally I exported the birth and death dates too but it was a bit messy because of the date issue in Excel (I could have overcome this) but I also have a lot of date qualifiers (abt, bef, aft, bet) which mucks things up a bit. I had to look each person up anyway to see what censuses I already had so the dates were no big deal.
I set up the spreadsheet with a header and then froze it so I could scroll without losing my header row. I greyed out the years that the person was not alive and therefore would not appear in a federal census. I put an X if I already a census record for them for that year and an NF if I looked but they were not found for that year. My goal is to attempt to find a census record on every person in my direct line for every year that they were alive. Of course I won’t be able to find them all but I want to make sure that I have at least tried. I can always go back and try it again later and I might have better luck.
Below is a screenshot from the spreadsheet. I actually have more census records than what you see. I have TWO files. I have my working file and I have my old file still in Legacy 7.5. I am still transferring things over as I double check the sources, standardization, formatting, etc. As I do, I will be able to fill in more X’s before I get started looking for the missing ones.
Copyright © 2016 Michèle Simmons Lewis