Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Ah the joy!

Ancestry.com has the estate case file of my 4th great-grandfather John McMichael.  I was looking for evidence of the parent-children relationship between this John and his son John.  John died intestate and being able to find a nice tidy list of heirs is hit or miss when it comes to administrations. Lucky for me this administration did have a list of heirs but…

ss

 

… here is the interesting part.  John’s estate file is in TWO parts. There was only one entry in the index and this entry links to the second part.  I noticed that the image of the file jacket said Box 35, Part II.  I started clicking backwards through the images and found Box 35, Part I which had another 21 pages. If I hadn’t gone backwards through the images I would have never found this and I would have missed out on a lot of great info.

ss2

 

This is another example of not trusting the index.


Pike County, Alabama, Wills and Probate Records, 1753-1999, John McMichael Estate Case File 1841-1849, Box 35, Part I and II; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 11 May 2016). 

Copyright © 2016 Michèle Simmons Lewis

 

4 comments:

  1. I think it is safe to say that not all of the estate papers are indexed. Often it's the index page that comes up on Ancestry which points you to other possible stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so but it is odd that these were right next to each other on the film.

      Delete
  2. Lady Luck smiles again! However, with your genealogical experience, you knew to continue looking. The biggest mistake one can make in genealogy research is to quit too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful job catching that! And, I love that the ages are written on the first document. That's really helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete