Thursday, June 16, 2016

Mission impossible?

I need some DNA.  I need some very specific DNA. I need DNA from a direct descendant of Almo Grantham and his wife Martha Thomas of St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find me a direct descendant to test. Here is what I have done thus far…

  • Contacted the St. Tammany Genealogical Society
  • Posted on the the St. Tammany Genealogical Society’s Facebook page
  • Contacted the St. Tammany Farmer (newspaper) but their advertising rates were cost prohibitive.  They wouldn’t print a letter to the editor for me. I will keep this one in mind though
  • Sent a message to the St. Tammany Rootsweb mailing list
  • Posted on the DNA Detectives Facebook page
  • Posted on the Genealogy Chit-Chat page
  • Posted on the Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Facebook page
  • Obits for the family will be in the St. Tammany Farmer which is on microfilm.  I don’t have ready access to these. The microfilm is at the St. Tammany Parish Library
  • I searched the gedcoms that have been uploaded to Gedmatch in hopes of finding a relative (any relative) that has tested and has their gedcom uploaded
  • I contacted the person that manages all of the Find a Grave memorials for this family

Almo Grantham was born on 30 October 1879 in St. Tammany Parish and died there 29 Oct 1943.  He is buried in the Thomas Cemetery.  He married Martha Wilmuth Thomas on 12 March 1901 in St. Tammany.  Almo’s real name is Armand but he went by Almo his entire life.  He is the son of Keziah Grantham, father unknown.  He had one full brother named Rougier (he went by Rusha) who was murdered in 1916.  I have the DNA I need from Rusha’s descendants. Here are Almo and Martha’s children:

Mary died as an infant, 1904
Lena who married William G. Purvis, died 1986
Mae who married a Seals, died after 01 May 1974
Yvonne who married Edward Crawford, died 1959
Georgia who married James Gaines, died 1994
Elbert, died without issue, 1974
Louise who married a Uell Holmes, died 1994
Alma who married Michael Alsobrooks, died 1993


Okay bloodhounds, off you go!


Copyright © 2016 Michèle Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment