Friday, October 28, 2016

Dr. Oetker’s wife

Anyone that knows anything about Germany will understand the significance if what I am about to say.  My friend (and distant cousin) Christina and I work together on the Gläntzer/Glaentzer One-Name Study. She told me something today that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Gläntzers but it is the best piece of news.  Christina’s great-grandmother was best friends with Dr. Oetker’s wife!  Yes, THE Dr. Oetker!  For those of you that are sitting there scratching your head right now, Dr. Oetker is the Betty Crocker of Germany. There are hundreds of Dr. Oetker products and Dr. Oetker cookbooks are very popular.  I own five Dr. Oetker cookbooks myself and whenever I go to Helen, Georgia I stock up on Dr. Oetker cooking and baking supplies.  (For those who don’t know, Helen is a town in the north Georgia mountains that is patterned after a German village). 

Christina was kind enough to send me a photograph and give me permission to use it in the blog. 

Fromm, Friedrich and wife AnnaPhotograph circa 1937, Baden-Baden, Germany, courtesy of Christina Gläntzer
Left to right, Mrs. Oetker, Dr. Fritz Fromm and wife Eleonore (Baack) Fromm

Oh but that wasn’t the only thing Christina told me today.  She also let me know that a cemetery where family members are buried was named the most beautiful cemetery in Germany.  “Der Johannisfriedhof ist der schönste Friedhof Deutschlands.” I can’t post the picture of the cemetery because I don’t have permission to use it but if you have Facebook you can see it HERE.

Today is a very good day.

 

Copyright © 2016 Michèle Simmons Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment