Friday, January 13, 2017

Ida’s grandfather Stephen Perry

You can read about Ida, one of my favorite people, here:

The Story of Ida Perry
Thank you, Mary!
Ida Perry

John Ames has in his possession a photo of Ida’s grandfather (my 3rd great-grandfather) Stephen Oliver Perry. He was born about 1819 in Robeson County, North Carolina and died between 01 December 1873 and 03 May 1878 in Pascagoula, Jackson County, Mississippi. He was a Civil War veteran.

Perry, Stephen Oliver 01Photograph courtesy of the John Ames collection, used with permission

 

Copyright © 2017 Michèle Simmons Lewis

6 comments:

  1. Michele, you and I need to compare notes. You and I are researching in some of the same areas of Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me an email at ancestoring@gmail.com and we will see if we have any family overlap :)

      Delete
  2. Loved your Ida story. Coincidently, I live just a few miles north of Pascagoula and many of husband's family and ancestors are buried in Coaltown Cemetary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, just found your comment! My husband's family are Holley and McClinton. They followed the sawmills into Marion, Lamar, and Pearl River counties. My husband's great grandfather, Hosea Holley, lived in the Americus community. One of my husband's aunts, as an infant, was swept out of her mother's arms and killed in the 1908 tornado that destroyed Purvis and a lot of southern Louisiana/Mississippi. We live in BigPoint/Hurley area, in NE Jackson County.--a few miles from where Hosea, husband's ggrandfather, lived. Small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have quite a few saw mill workers in my family. That was big industry in that area.

      Delete