Friday, February 17, 2017

New Ancestor Discoveries (AncestryDNA)

I hadn’t looked closely at the “New Ancestor Discoveries” after reading some negative posts about them but today I decided to take a look. I have three married couples that are listed. The first is John Wilson Pepper and wife Martha Taylor Yates. Here is what I see when I click their names:

When John Wilson Pepper was born on March 27, 1845, in Pike, Georgia, his father, William, was 23 and his mother, Elizabeth, was 21. He was married five times and had 11 sons and nine daughters. He died on February 10, 1930, in Rusk, Texas, at the age of 84, and was buried in Henderson, Texas. 

When Martha Taylor Yates was born on March 27, 1847, in Colorado, her father, James, was 28, and her mother, Tarissa, was 29. She married John Wilson Pepper and they had 19 children together. She also had one son from another relationship. She died on May 12, 1890, in Rusk, Texas, at the age of 43, and was buried in Henderson, Texas.

I don’t have any Peppers in my file but I do have family in Pike County, Georgia so the link is more likely with Mr. Pepper than it is with wife Martha as I have no connections to Colorado at all. There are five circles that include Mr. Pepper. I have a DNA match to someone in four of those circles. Each circle has a confidence level of “strong.”

The second match is Jesse Wilburn Collier and his wife Sarah Jane Mathews:

When Jesse Wilburn Collier was born on May 28, 1828, in Moore, North Carolina, his father, Thomas, was 30 and his mother, Sarah, was 26. He married Sarah Jane Mathews on July 23, 1857, in Carroll, Georgia. They had ten children in 17 years. He died on January 18, 1915, in Marshall, Alabama, having lived a long life of 86 years, and was buried in Boaz, Alabama.

When Sarah Jane Mathews was born on August 9, 1834, in South Carolina, her father, Abel, was 42, and her mother, Nancy, was 36. She had six sons and six daughters. She died on July 2, 1912, in Marshall, Alabama, having lived a long life of 77 years, and was buried in Boaz, Alabama.

I have strong connections to Marshall County and to Boaz specifically. I connect to three Collier circles and three Mathews circles. They are the same circles.  The confidence level is strong.

The third match, Charles Thomas Pitchard and wife Permelia C. Hensley, is interesting because I can’t even see a remote connection so no starting point for me to research. Here are the descriptions:

When Charles Thomas Pritchard was born in 1821 in Wayne, Tennessee, his father, Henry, was 31 and his mother, Rachel, was 18. He had six sons and seven daughters. He died in 1863 in Searcy, Arkansas, at the age of 42, and was buried there.

When Permelia C Hensley was born in June 1832 in Tennessee, her father, Lemuel, was 47, and her mother, Mary, was 21. She married Charles Thomas Pritchard and they had 12 children together. She also had one daughter from another relationship. She then married Thomas Weeks in 1865 in Searcy, Arkansas. She died on November 20, 1908, in Sanger, Texas, having lived a long life of 76 years, and was buried there.

I don’t have either surname in my file and these locations don’t mean much to me. I match four Pritchard circles and four Hensley circles, the same fours circles, confidence level is high. This couple would be the last one I tried to investigate because I don’t have a clear starting point.

Yesterday I deleted my tree off of Ancestry and uploaded a more complete tree so I am still waiting for the “shaky leaves” to populate on my DNA page. I am going to look at the people I actually match in these circles and see if I can find some commonality. Initial impression – worth investigating.


Copyright © 2017 Michèle Simmons Lewis

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I have had success with one of these. But, after seeing your thought process, I think I'll go and visit this again. Thanks for sharing! I hope you're able to figure out your connections.

    ReplyDelete