Thursday, March 30, 2017

Ancestry’s “Genetic Communities”

For those of you that have tested your DNA through Ancestry, most are seeing Ancestry’s new Genetic Communities.  It is still in beta so there are a few of you that can’t see this yet. It popped up on my screen the day before yesterday.  HERE is a definition of what Genetic Communities are.

The Genetic Communities are only picking up my dad’s side of the family which is perfectly understandable.  My mother is a first generation immigrant. All of her family lines are from Germany/Poland/Alsace (Prussia) and are still there. Very few people there have tested.

What I see on my screen is VERY accurate for my dad’s side. I was able to do a close-up because 100% of his dots are right here.

ss1

 

What was most interesting to me is the migration patterns for both communities, again, they are spot on. Here is the migration pattern for the Early Settlers of Mississippi & Louisiana. Most of my known lines follow the migration from NC to SC, AL, GA and MS.

ss3 


Here is the migration pattern for the Early Settlers of the Deep South.  Notice that the point of origin is Virginia. Right now Simmons yDNA through FTDNA is leading us to Virginia for the common ancestor with migration patterns to SC, GA, TN and MS.

ss2

 

Here are the two big picture migrations.  The first is from the Early Settlers of Mississippi & Louisiana and the second is from the Early Settlers of the Deep South (you can tell which is which by the colors and you can match them to the above screenshots).

ss4

ss5

I am waiting for my LivingDNA results which I am hoping will pinpoint the UK connections better.

The screenshots I have shown you are only a small number of what I could have taken. The migrations are broken up by time period and I only snapped one time period.

Did I learn anything new? Not really but this did strengthen a lot of my theories. I am looking forward to Blaine Bettinger’s webinar on Genetic Communities today at 2:00 pm ET. I am hoping Blaine will show me some other things I can do with this data.

Exploring AncestryDNA’s New Genetic Communities


No comments:

Post a Comment