Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Newspapers are a funny thing (spinoff two)

On Monday I posted about a 1825 divorce case.  You can read the post HERE. You can also read Spinoff one HERE. One of the sources I used was:

"Burning of the Scranton Court House," New Orleans Times, 02 March 1875, p. 4, col. 4; digital images, GenealogyBank (http://www.genealogybank.com : accessed 24 March 2017).

This story is about a Mississippi event but I cited a Louisiana newspaper.  Why?  GenealogyBank is my favorite newspaper site because I like their interface best. I searched GenealogyBank and found the article in the New Orleans Times but no articles from a Mississippi newspaper.  This is not surprising because GenealogyBank (nor any other online newspaper provider) has all of the newspapers that were in publication. I could have searched the other online providers to see if I could find something in Mississippi but would that have made the story more accurate?  Probably not. Just for fun I just now searched Google news, Chronicling America, Newspaper Archive (through the Boyd County Library), and Ancestry.  I didn’t find anything better than what I already had.

To give my New Orleans story a little more credibility, at the end of the article there is this notation:

—Scranton (Miss.) Star.

They got their story from the local paper (which is not online).


Announcements:

For those that have DNA tested with Ancestry, most of you are now seeing your “Genetic Communities.”  I am going to post my results tomorrow as well as my opinion of what I am seeing but I wanted to let you know that Blaine Bettinger is doing a Legacy Family Tree Webinar TOMORROW, Thursday at 2:00 pm ET on Exploring AncestryDNA’s New Genetic Communities. If you want to watch it live, I suggest you register early and sign in early because this one will be packed. It is free to watch live and for 7 days after it is archived.  After that you will need to be a Legacy Family Tree Webinar Subscriber.

I found an interesting Ancestry database this morning, “NARA Collections on Ancestry.com.” You can type in a NARA microfilm series number or the NARA collection title and Ancestry will see if they have the microfilm as an index, database, or database with images. Many times the Ancestry title doesn’t match the NARA title so you might not readily see that they have the title in their collection.  I have the book Guide to the Genealogical Research in the National Archives of the United States (3rd edition) which has all of the NARA numbers in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment