Thursday, May 18, 2017

A husband for Katie

The background information for this story is in Mystery Marker and Update to Mystery Marker. It has been a year and a half since I last looked at this.  I am a big believer in two heads are better than one so yesterday I posted a query on a Facebook group that I belong to and Mississippi researcher “GJ” jumped at the challenge.  We started trading information back and forth and within three hours we had the answer. We used newspapers, city directories, social security applications/claims, draft registrations, census records and Find a Grave to put the pieces together.

Catherine Elizabeth “Katie” (Hickman) Warden married Oliver Searcy Simmons.  It was the second marriage for both of them. We have a paper trail but I will be calling the Forrest County Circuit Court to request a copy of their marriage license/certificate to seal the deal.  I already had Oliver in my file as I knew I would.  I doubt if there is a Simmons in Perry, Forrest, Lamar or Marion County that I don’t know.  What I didn’t know is that Searcy remarried after his first wife died.


No comments:

Post a Comment