Yesterday I talked about how important it is to learn the proper way to use Family Tree so today I want to show you all of the training materials that are available. This is in two parts. The first part includes resources for using Family Tree on the website itself and the second part are resources to learn how to use the Family Tree interface within Legacy. Legacy is one of only three database programs that can directly interface with Family Tree. Even if you are going to access Family Tree using Legacy you really need to go to through the training for the website itself. There are still some things you can’t do through Legacy (or the other two programs) and you will have to do these things on the website. Family Search is in full control of what the database programs can do and what they can’t do. FamilySearch approves features one at a time so these programs do not have full functionality yet, however, you can do most tasks through the interface.
- Family Tree Videos – Here are some really great videos on every possible task you can do in Family Tree. Scroll through the list because the order they are on this list isn’t necessarily the order you will want to watch them.
- Family Tree Help Page – Make sure you read the FAQ, What’s New, Tips and Tricks and Other Resources. The Learning Center Video Courses only lists 5 videos and in the link above I have listed all of them.
- PDF Handouts – This set of handouts is the best. Each one walks you through the common tasks and the have wonderful graphics showing you what every single item on a screen is and does. The PDFs you need are under the Family Tree section.
- Legacy Family Tree and FamilySearch Family Tree – Here is a FREE webinar that Geoff Rasmussen did on the Legacy interface with FamilySearch. It includes a syllabus that you can download.
- How to Use Legacy FamilySearch to Share Information with the Family Tree at FamilySearch.org – Here are two pdfs, one for LDS members and one for non LDS, which include step by step instructions for the common tasks.
- Auto Match – Here is an article explaining how to use the Auto Match feature.
- Download your ancestors from Family Tree to Legacy – Here is an article explaining how to download ancestors and descendants from a particular anchor person (in most cases this will be you but you can easily download other lines).
Please take the time to learn how to use Family Tree the right way. Not only will this help you but it will help everyone else using Family Tree. Please don’t be one of those people others have to clean up after.
Copyright © 2014 Michele Simmons Lewis